Wednesday, March 31, 2010

E-Cyling Bonanza!



So Gary and I have been trying to de-clutter our house (a long and slow process!). We finally managed to gather our e-waste together for our first trip to the Alameda County Computer Resource Center (ACCRC). Wooo whoo! The ACCRC is an organization that recycles most e-waste, if it can be plugged in, then there is a good chance that they will take it. Their fees are minimal, and they pride themselves on recycling all of the material locally. If they can't fix it, they take it apart and send bits and pieces to local refineries or recycling centers. They even take care to recycle any precious metals such as copper, which is sent to a copper smelter. So cool!

It's so exciting when you find a place that will take your "junk" and not just throw it in the landfill, but instead, find a way to re-use it! I had been looking for a place that recycled more than just computers and TVs, we had stuff like speakers, phones, wires, a fax machine, and computer printer. There is still more, but this was a start! It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years.




When I got there, there were two men sitting in a cluttered shipping crate, which seemed to be a make-shift office. They appeared to be hard at work, when one man got up and came to help me unload.



As he took things out of my car he began to put sort them into piles.



Items are then further sorted and placed on pallets to be taken elsewhere. Check out all the TVs and Printers waiting to go, . . . and NOT to be dumped in our landfills!




So for all of that, I payed a total of $11, that's really not a lot, and I really hope people see the worth in this type of thing. In my research, I did not find one place that recycled for free, which is unfortunate, because I'm sure this would be a deterrent for some--"Why spend spend time and money to take my trash somewhere when I can just throw it in my garbage for free?" To all those that feel that way, and probably none of you are reading my blog, it IS worth the time and money! We need to do what we can to help sustain our world instead of deplete it! Do it for your grandchildren! Ok, sorry, rant over!

To learn more about the ACCRC check out their website at www.accrc.org/

Peace, . .

4 comments:

  1. It's never really free though is it? :)
    Rant on! People need to here it.
    We're lucky to have these locations available to us.
    My sis probably lives in the most environmentally friendly city in her state and she still has to drive her recyclables to the community self-sort station. How many people do you think are doing that?
    When she didn't want to throw away her packing peanuts I told her to post them to craigslist.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, you can get rid of most anything on craigslist. A few days ago posted a listing for free pillow stuffing and about an an hour later I got three takers. It was gone that afternoon. And yes, I don't believe most people are doing that, which is why it's important that we do and advertise it loud and clear! Re-cycle People! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right that it's a worthwhile cause.

    Craig's List is a great place to pass things on AND so is http://freecycle.org You should definitely check it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Craig's list has been one of my best friends lately! And thanks for the link to free-cycle, will check it out!

    ReplyDelete