Friday, May 4, 2012

The Sewing Machine, . . .






Ladies and Gentleman!  I am happy to announce that I have gotten over my fear of the sewing machine!   I figured it was about time to get over my phobia of needles and presser foots and get down and dirty.  I want to be able to make curtains, clothes, bed sheets, halloween costumes, yada yada yada.

I've had my mom's machine for a very long time now.  It's a Singer Genie from the 60's, note the decorative flower pattern on the casing, . . groovy dude!  I've been shown how to thread it a number of times, but for some reason, I always left it and then forgot how to do it.  

I think I was kind of intimidated by the thought of sewing "properly".  I never took the time to learn about patterns and fabric and whenever I thought about it, there was always a way to get around it.  What was my breaking point?  I guess I just got sick of looking for ideas online that re-quire the words "no sew".  Plus, I HATE the smell of a glue gun.

So, a few weeks ago I began a basic sewing class.  We've learned about fabrics, how to pick and follow a pattern, how to pin, and use our sewing machine.  You know, the basics.  I'm working on a dress, no buttons or zippers, nothing too fancy, but nevertheless, it's a start!  Plus, I love that I'm learning on the same machine that my mom worked on.




Oh yeah, speaking of groovy things, . . . the other day I decided to put my knowledge to the test and ended up making these cute pants for Miss Serafin!  Love it!  Can't wait to learn more and explore my new (but not very new) toy!

1 comment:

  1. awesome! i too, have a fear of the sewing machine and i have one sitting in my closet! where are you taking classes at? would you recommend them?

    i hope you are well. lots of hugs to you,

    heidi

    ReplyDelete