Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Outrageous Vegan Muffins




Lately I have gotten into cooking vegan food.  Admittedly, I'm no vegan, but I certainly enjoy trying new things and learning about different types of diets.  Even though I like eating some meats, I have also been noticing how good I feel when I eat yummy, filling meals that have not been touched by the meat industry.  Not only have I found some wonderful dishes and new things to try, but I'm finding a sort of clarity in vegan food that I don't find in dishes made with meats.  It feels more "pure" to me.  My body feels good when I eat it.  Perhaps it's a psychological thing, or maybe energetic, regardless something feels right.  I'm excited!

When our vegan friend Jack came over for dinner a few times in the last couple of weeks this new world of cooking opened up to me.  Because I'm Greek (and Greeks like to feed people), I got inspired to dig through the internet and find some scrumpdidalyumptious looking vegan blogs, . . . Oh She Glows and Post Punk Kitchen to name a couple.  Who knows where this little culinary experiment will go, . . . eating less meat is a good thing!  (I'm sure my Greek ancestors are rolling in their graves!) 

 I made these muffins the other day.  If you feel inspired, try them, you'll see that eating vegan can be super yummy.  The original recipe, Outrageous Muffins, was on the back of some Bob's Red Mill Soy flour, and I've been wanting to try it for a while.  When I realized that we were out of eggs, I thought, "hey, why not make some flax eggs and try and convert the recipe to be vegan!"  Instead of yogurt, I used coconut milk and voila, you have these super yummy, fluffy, raisin muffins.  Plus, they are packed with protein and fiber.  Bon-Appetite!


"Outrageous Vegan Muffins"

Ingredients:
1/3 Cup Whole Soy Flour
1/3 Cup Medium Grind Cornmeal
1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Salt
1 Cup Ground Almonds
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Flax Eggs (see note below)
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 Cup Canola Oil (plus a little extra for greasing tins)
1 Cup Raisins

To assemble:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
-Make flax eggs.
-Grease muffin tins with oil, or use cupcake papers.
-Mix dry ingredients and raisins in a large bowl.
-Mix wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients.
-Fill muffin tins 2/3s full.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes.
-Enjoy!!

Note: To make a flax egg:  Mix 1 Tablespoon of ground flax with 3 Tablespoons of water in a small bowl, put in fridge while preparing other ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment