Monday, March 26, 2012

Where to Buy Your Herbs, . . .



Mmmmmm, just went to the "herb store" today.  I was low on a lot of goodies that I was in need of, especially after this last bought of stomach flu.  When I got home I re-stocked and admired the beautiful colors in my full herb closet.  Drinking tea is that much more enjoyable when everything is easy to get at and looks pretty.

Some of you have asked where I get my herbs.  Before mom died, I used to go and scour her garden to see what yummy things I could find there.  Aside from being an amazing herbalist, she also had a very green thumb. In her garden, you could find anything that would be in a standard herb garden such as peppermint, oregano, lavender, and rosemary, to other wonderful herbs like lemon-balm, cat nip, St. John's wort, calendula, echinacea, mullen and so much more.  In the spring, her garden blossomed to its fullest potential, we would walk together and she would tell me "what was what" and "what it was good for".  After she passed, my beginner herbalist knowledge only recognized about 35% of it, I should have taken notes!

Now I learn as I go.  I have some wonderful resources for natural healing and my knowledge grows slowly and as needed.  When I can't get my herbs fresh from a garden, I usually go to a local herb store.  I like to look and smell inside the jars when I ask for something.  I also like speaking with a person directly incase I might have any questions.  For those of you in the east bay area, you can find herbs at the Lhasa Karnak Herb Company, they have two locations, but I recommend the Telegraph store as it is larger and has more to offer.  I always enjoy my trips there, they are knowledgeable and friendly.

For those that don't have the time or desire to make a trip out just for herbs, an herbalist friend of mine, very trustworthy, has suggested two places to shop online.  Mountain Rose Herbs and Pacific Botanicals.  I haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure if (and when) we move, I won't have the luxury to shoot down to the local herb shop.  These two places will be my starting point.  

Anyway, that's all for now!  Hope you find your herbs!  

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU dragonfly mother!! this has been as serious interest of mine, but the topic has seemed so overwhelming I haven't really known where to start!! This truly helped me and I'm so happy I have discovered your blog!!! PLUS- now I now where to start my journey, as I am somewhat still new to the bay area (2010).

    Thanks again most kindly-
    dandelion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Dandelion, glad I can help! It's all about sharing and helping each other out when we can! Welcome to the Bay Area!

    ReplyDelete