Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Operation Orcas Take 2


(Above is a picture that Gary took on Orcas a few weeks ago.  Little Ms. Serafin is playing in her first snow!  Wish I could have been there, but here's hoping to many many more days like this!)

I'm happy to report that Gary has found a few potential homes on Orcas Island!  Finger's crossed!  It's good he went up first, he's definitely the more practical of the two of us.  I'm better with energy and flow--go figure.  Now I get to go up and really just sit and "feel" the homes.  I'm heading off on Monday to be coming home on Friday.  

It's going to be a whirlwind trip, to be honest, I'm not too excited about it.  I'm looking forward to seeing the houses, but I will be traveling with the little one and I'm a bit nervous about it.  I never travelled with Serafin when she was this young and especially never travelled with her alone.  A couple of weeks ago I would have said I was excited, but Silas has been thrown off since he had the stomach flu and now he is teething hard--we're talking up every 1-2 hours.  Not fun.  That said, at least I won't have to think about dirty dishes, getting dinner on the table, feeding cats and dogs and doing dirty laundry, blah blah blah.  It will be an adventure with me and the boy!

How long does it take to get to Orcas?  Well, here's the plan.  I leave for the airport around 8:00 in the morning for a 10:00 flight.  I arrive in Seattle around noon, get a car, drive to Anacortez (where the ferry leaves from) which is 2-3 hours depending on traffic.  There is a 3:30 ferry or a 6:55 ferry.  I'm assuming I will make the late one as I will be needing to stop for food and also to feed the little butterball.  Plus, I rather not push myself and simply take my time.  It is a long trip, but it's also very enjoyable.  Who knows, maybe I'll do a little shopping, I'm thinking I might need a pair of warmer pants!  

Once on the ferry it's about an hour to Orcas.  The ferry is the most enjoyable part for me.  Even Orcas Islanders say that the ferry is kind of like built in social time.  Granted, I have a feeling that planning for ferry rides around off island Dr.s appointments or grocery runs will likely be a pain in the you know what!  However, there is a price to pay for beautiful land, fresh air and a quiet life.  Have I ever mentioned that there are no traffic lights on Orcas?  Wow!

Anyway, wish me luck.  I'll need it!


1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of your first trip to Europe.....your mother had to 'walk' you there. She walked up and down the aisle because you would not calm down. It seems the medicine she gave you to make you sleepy did just the opposite! I am sure your trip will be much better.
    Love
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete